Summary of Actions
SUMMARY OF ACTIONS
June 21, 2022
Remote Attendance. Council unanimously approved the remote attendance by Council Member John Dittmore.
Budget Workshop. Council held a workshop to discuss and provide guidance to staff for the preliminary budget for the fiscal year 2022-2023.
Introduction of New Employees. Assistant City Manager Tom Bradford introduced GIS Analyst Natalie Jinkins, who started with the City on May 27, 2022. Public Works Director Mark Piccirillo introduced Water Distribution Worker Ryan Kilmer, who started with the City on May 27, 2022. Building Official Tom Forbes introduced Building Inspector Dianne Gosine, who started with the City on June 3, 2022.
Transmittal of the Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment for Toby Platt Property Located South of US 192 and East of St Johns Heritage Parkway for Pulte Development. Council held a public hearing and unanimously approved the transmittal of the large scale comprehensive plan map amendment for property located south of US 192 and east of St Johns Heritage Parkway for the Pulte development.
Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment for Toby Platt Property Located South of US 192 and East of St Johns Heritage Parkway for Pulte Development. Council held a public hearing and unanimously approved the first reading of Ordinance No. 2022-10 to change the future land use of the Toby Platt property from Brevard County Residential 1 (RES-1) and Residential 2 (RES-2) to City of West Melbourne Medium Density Residential (MD-RES), conditioned on the execution of the development agreement.
Rezoning for Toby Platt Property Located South of US 192 and East of St Johns Heritage Parkway for Pulte Development. Council held a public hearing and unanimously approved the first reading of Ordinance No. 2022-11 changing the zoning of the subject property from Brevard County Agricultural Residential (AU) to City of West Melbourne Multi-Family Dwelling (R-2), with the condition that the comprehensive plan map amendment is approved.
Development Agreement for the Toby Platt Property Located South of US 192 and East of St Johns Heritage Parkway for Pulte Development. Council held a public hearing and unanimously approved the development agreement to limit the use and density and layout of the proposed Pulte Homes development on 51.38 acres of vacant property located east of St. Johns Heritage Parkway, immediately south of Space Coast Town Center and west of Brandywine Estates, subject to review by the City Attorney for form and consistency.
Integra Multifamily Site Plan. Council held a public hearing and approved by a 6-1 vote, with Council Member Bentley opposed, the initial site plan for a 319-unit apartment community known as “Integra at Heritage Commerce Park”, located at the northwest corner of the US 192 and St. Johns Heritage Parkway with the following conditions:
- Obtain outside agency permits prior to final site plan approval.
- Pay the fee in lieu of public recreation dedication and enter into the recreation fee agreement.
- Install right turn deceleration lanes on St. Johns Heritage Parkway and US-192.
- In order to ensure viability of the site landscaping, any of the plant species not listed in the approved landscape manual and proposed for installation shall be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Submit for Council review the two proposed community gates.
- The remaining 8.65 acres at the NW corner of US Highway 192 and St. Johns Heritage must have a minimum of two (2) nonresidential uses (commercial, industrial or institutional) per the Parkway Interchange future land use policy.
- Demonstrate compliance with FEMA and other regulatory agency requirements for a development within a flood hazard area; engineer shall certify the proposed development will not have adverse impact on adjacent properties and related flood hazard area.
- Dedicate a 10 foot by 10 foot square area at the southwest corner of the property to a government agency such as the City or County for any future expansion or roadway connection revisions to the private driveway known as BJ Lane.
Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment for Space Coast Town Center. Council held a public hearing and unanimously approved the first reading of Ordinance No. 2022-12 amending the future land use of a 4.65 acre retention pond from Brevard County Community Commercial (CC) to West Melbourne Parkway Interchange (PI).
Rezoning for the Space Coast Town Center. Council held a public hearing and unanimously approved the first reading of Ordinance No. 2022-13 rezoning a 4.65 acre property from Brevard County Transient Tourist Commercial (TU-2) to Gateway Interchange (GTWY-1) with the condition that the comprehensive plan map amendment is approved.
First Amendment for the Development Agreement for the Space Coast Town Center. Council held a public hearing and unanimously approved the first amendment to the 2019 Space Coast Town Center development agreement, including the revised conceptual master plan, incorporating the former Brevard County 4.65 acre property.
Consent Agenda. Council unanimously approved the following consent items:
- Regular City Council meeting minutes for Tuesday, June 7, 2022.
- Resolution No. 2022-10 which adopts the revised development fee schedule.
- Resolution No. 2022-14 setting the revised City Council meeting schedule for calendar year 2022.
- Appointment of John Frazier to the Business Advisory Board with a term ending November 2022.
Space Coast Town Center Replat. Council approved the final plat for Phase 1A of the Space Coast Town Centre East subdivision which creates Lot 2 in the mixed use development (located west of I-95, east of St. Johns Heritage Parkway and south of U.S. 192) with the following conditions:
- The comprehensive plan amendment, rezoning and the development agreement revision must be approved prior to recordation of the plat mylar.
- Submit a Trip Vesting Report signed by a traffic engineer per the 2018 Development Agreement between Space Coast Town Centre, LLC and the City of West Melbourne.
- Developer either posts an infrastructure performance bond or builds the subdivision improvements prior to recordation of the plat mylar.
Final Plat for West Melbourne Interchange Center – Unit Four. Council unanimously approved the Final Plat for Unit Four of the West Melbourne Interchange Center (a replat of an existing commercial subdivision at the corner of Hollywood Blvd and Palm Bay Road).
Waste Management Solid Waste Collection Rate Request. By a vote of 5-2, with Council Members Dittmore and Phrampus opposed, Council approved a rate increase of 8.81 percent for Waste Management as the solid waste collection franchise holder for the final year of the contract from October 1, 2022 through September 30, 2023.
Employment Agreement with City Manager Designee Tim Rhode. Council unanimously approved and authorized the Mayor to sign an employment agreement appointing Tim Rhode as City Manager effective September 1, 2022, and establishing his compensation and conditions of employment, as provided for in Article V of the City Charter, with the change to add a six-month probationary performance review, and modification of the expense allowance to utilize City staff to schedule events with a City credit card so that those expenses can be tracked.
For additional information on these matters, call the City Clerk’s office at 321-837-7774. City Council will meet again on Tuesday, July 19, 2022, after which this page will be updated.