Building Department Director/Building Official
Contact: Thomas Forbes
City of West Melbourne
2240 Minton Road
West Melbourne, FL 32904
8:30 am - 5:00
Monday - Friday
The Building Department actually functions as three divisions under the direction of the Building Official:
Administration and enforcement of the various local codes and ordinances associated with construction of new structures, and alteration, repairs or additions to existing structures, including state and federal laws. Responsibilities include:
- Plan review
- Permit issuance
- Inspections for compliance
- Administration and enforcement of municipal codes and ordinances that regulate:
- Land development and use
- Any others that have an effect on health, safety and general welfare of the public
- Investigate citizens' complaints
- Require corrections as necessary and/or process alleged violations of the City Code of Ordinances to the City Code Enforcement Board
- Ensure compliance with orders issued
- Maintain records
- Ensure collection of assessed penalties
This department works closely with Brevard County fire prevention, planning and engineering in the review of site plans, subdivision development and land use change requests, including the variance and special exception application process.
Hurricane Irma recovery information
The following are the permitting requirements for storm affected properties. Minor repairs to roofing (under 100 square feet damage), soffit/fascia, minor siding damage, and any repairs or replacement of fencing does not require any permitting. Interior drywall replacement due to flooding only requires permitting if the electrical system in your house has been affected (flood waters reached the heights of the outlets).
For your own protection hire only licensed and insured contractors or you can complete the work as an owner/builder if you own and reside in the residence.
All other repairs will required to be permitted through the Building Department but all fees have been waived for Irma damaged properties. Thank you and be safe.